This is a set of five first readers in te reo Maori. These books for preschool children have simple language and humorous stories - starting children on the path of learning to read Maori and the enjoyment of books. Each book has a complete English translation of the reo Maori text. The books are illustrated by designer and illustrator Scott Pearson and come in a slipcase box. The titles in the set are:
1. He Kai Ma Poni is a story about colours - a pony eats brightly coloured flowers until it doesn't see the bee in the yellow flower and is stung.
2. He Ra Kuri is about recognising different shapes as a girl takes her lolloping dog around an agility trial. At each test there is a mishap, but the dog gets a star for its enthusiasm.
3. Te Waimarie Hoki sees Mum and her son using different vehicles to get to town, but each breaks down in a different way, until a train picks them up and their vehicles too.
4. Me Haere Taua? sees pig imagining ways to get through, over or under a river. Finally, pig gets on elephant's back to cross - to the fair.
5. Tau Ke teaches counting up to ten, as groups of animals get into funny costumes and go to a party.